Monday, January 31, 2011

Veggie Chili with Lentils

In the mood for chili this weekend I deemed I was going to make a huge pot of chili on Sunday. I found a cookbook I had received a few years ago that had a vegetable chili recipe in it. My goal was to make something that was rather healthy and to use some lentils I had. So I took that recipe and changed it a bit :)



How yummy does that look?!

Here's the recipe:

Veggie Chili with Lentils

Items:
- 4 small yellow squash, diced
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 bag lentils (I used 1/2 red, 1/2 brown)
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 largeish cans diced tomatoes
- 2 regular size cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregeno

Directions:
Heat oil in large stock pot. Add garlic, diced onion, diced squash and carrots. Saute until onion is translucent.

Add veggie stock, 2 regular size cans of petitie diced tomatoes, lentils and chick peas to pot.

Puree in food processor, 2 large cans of diced tomatoes and 1 small can of tomato paste, add to pot.

Add in the brown sugar, chili powder, salt, oregano.

Cook on low for about an hour (or as long as you'd like), stirring every now and then.

About 15 minutes before serving, add the corn.

This made about 14 servings at 175 calories each!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Project180 said...

Nice, I did sort of the same thing a week or so ago with chicken soup. I like to make a huge pot of basic chicken soup and add lentils instead of noodles. A pot will last me a week.

Enjoy that yumy Chili!!!