Friday, February 4, 2011

Breakfast Challenge Update

I've had a lot of eggs this week so far! :) I usually mix 2 eggs and 2 egg whites for my "dish" This week's egg dish hasn't varied over much:

2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 oz ham
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1 wedge laughing cow cheese
1 T ketchup

And fruit in the form of apples or grapes.

Roughly: 375 calories, 30g protein, 27g carbs for each.

Today, I had a piece of homemade bread (toasted) and homemade blackberry jam (without sugar) that I made yesterday.

How has the hunger been? It varied. This week, due to large amounts of snow, I have been home since Tuesday afternoon. The temptation of food in the house has been larger than temptation of food I bring at work.

Monday and Tuesday, I had breakfast around 6 and wasn't hungry until around 10 (and even then, it wasn't overly hungry) when I'd have a snack.

Since I've been home, breakfast has been a bit later (yay sleeping in?) and has been around 8:30. The odd thing? I felt hungry by 11. I'm not sure if it was me, seeing the clock and thinking that's past when I normally have a snack, or if I was actually hungry. Anyway, I had a small snack around then, I didn't feel I needed anything big.

After that? Lunch hunger usually wasn't intense. It was more, Yep, it's lunch time, let's have a bite to eat. As per normal, my hungry snacking time is around 3. I noticed yesterday, it's also the time I get sleepy. I think the snacking and sleepyness go hand in hand.

Ways I can battle the urge to eat everything in sight? Popcorn is excellent for me in this area. I can make a filling snack that takes a while to eat (in other words, takes enough time my brain gets over itself). The issue I have with this is at work, our microwave sucks for microwaved popcorn so I need to remember to pack a popped bag of popcorn in the morning. Which is cool, because then I can air pop it!

Overall, the higher protein breakfast seems to be filling me up well into lunchtime.  One more week of higher protein then a switch to the oatmeals to see how that does.

Something else I'm curious about... protein in oatmeal? If it works out that I work better with the higher protein, and oatmeal has heart healthy benefits, should I consider making a protein packed oatmeal? Or maybe, doing my eggs for breakfast and having a serving of oatmeal for my afternoon snack maybe?  Things to think about in the coming weeks :)

No comments: