Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Food Thoughts

I tend to be over analytical about my journey as I try to figure out what I can do to "do things better". Since kinda falling off the wagon, so to speak, I've been pondering a few things... (Note, these might be really random)

I've been pondering Weight Watchers as a nutritional change. Specifically, the Points program. Thinking that perhaps, following a "program" may give me the structure I need, but that WW is loose enough to give me the flexibility I crave... that say, South Beach may not be able to give me.

So, in thinking about this... I've been pondering things like the zero point foods (Fruits and Non-Starchy Veggies).  In other circles, they have been referred to as negative calorie foods... ie, they take more calories to digest than they are.

In WW you can eat as many of the zero point foods you want, you don't count the points of them. And WW works.

From the dietitian visit, I had a list of veggies that were "free" foods.  I could eat as much as I wanted of those, I didn't have to count them.

So, if I stay strictly with counting calories and logging the calories from those foods, do I count them? Or do I just say, "Nope, it's on the list of free foods, I don't need to count those calories?"

Part of me thinks, "Well yes, I should count them." Part of me thinks, "They weren't in the dietary breakdown from the dietitian, no, you don't count them."

What do others practice?

What is the best way for me to succeed? 

Is "pigging out" on veggies, but not counting the calories going to overall lower my calories in the day because I'm filling up on these veggies?

I have no idea, so I'm bouncing my thoughts out there into the air for anyone to bounce ideas back to me.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My former trainer said "Write before you bite! Even if its green and leafy!" He meant that I should be counting all of my calories- not just the ones I deemed healthy. It is your choice though. :)

Sarah
TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com