Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reevalutation of myself

Spending a week sick has given me time to reflect on things. I read something today that made me rethink the way I've been doing things in the past few months.  Willpower is something I've been lacking, in great proportions, since Dustin moved in. I have been blaming him instead of blaming myself. I mean, yeah, my house has been turned upside down and there has been adjustments on everyone's part. In reality, I was using him as an excuse to lose my willpower.  After all, it is easier to place the blame with someone else, right? Say things like, "Well he's not used to doing things like I do... it's okay if I do this, this time..."

Coming to this realization has made me reevaluate my goals and what I want to do with my personal journey. Also, I had done some thinking around the weight lifting portion of my workouts.  While building muscle is great and muscle helps burn fat... I have alot of fat I need to burn and I can't continue to ignore cardio workouts. Instead I have to balance the two.

I really enjoyed completing the 5k101 training and finishing the 5k run in September.  I realized just how much I enjoyed it when I did the Pumpkin Plod on Thanksgiving. I didn't run, but I walked, pretty darn fast. While I didn't enjoy running, 100% I did enjoy the end goal of finishing the 5k and competing in something I could do and time myself on and see my own improvements.  I don't see myself doing distances longer than 5ks but I would like to schedule more 5ks in my future.

All that being said, I've come up with a new plan for myself. Oddly enough, based on where I started. Going along with the lifelong plan that is stressed in Fat2Fit Radio... Eating will be done on a calorie counting basis based on my BMR and activity level. My calorie level is 2000 - 2300 / day.

Exercise, I want to get back into working out 5x a week.  MWF will be running days, these will be done on the treadmill, elliptical and track at Lincoln Center (or outside if it's closed).  TR will be strength training days. I am going to redo the 5k101 program, working on increasing my speed.  Starting in January, I want to sign up to do at least one 5k a month.  I want to have some of the 5ks be family affairs where I drag Jonas and Dustin along with me. It is OK to walk.  It is about doing a family activity together :)

I know I have the strength to do this and keep my willpower up.  I have to think of willpower as another muscle that with enough working out, will remain strong.

1 comment:

Biz said...

I saw your comment on Jen's blog and would happy to be your online cheerleader!

We have to realize that WE are in control of what we eat and while its easy to blame a significant other, the bottom line is we both can do it.

I lost 70 pounds in 1999 on Weight Watchers, but over the last three years I've gained 30 pounds back. I am starting the new WW program on Saturday BEFORE Christmas so I can get a jump start.

You can email me any time at mybizzykitchen@gmail.com if you need support!

Hugs!
Biz