Friday, October 1, 2010

A New Path

Today I met with a Registered Dietitian. This is something I've wanted to do for a while, to make sure the journey I've been taking is nutritionally sound. It was a very good appointment! She congratulated me on my successes so far. She said I no longer would qualify for bariatric surgery and that I am very close to the "overweight" range instead of the "very overweight/obese" range I'm in currently. Considering I was once in the "super obese" (which is above "morbidly obese" level... this is a VERY good thing. :)

We looked at my eating over the past week and she felt I was eating too much protein. She also felt I should make a short term weight loss goal of 14 pounds. Once I reach that goal, do short term weight loss goals of 10 pounds until I reach my goal weight.

Eating wise, she suggested an 1800 calorie/day diet. This diet includes 3 servings of carbs, 8 oz of protein and 6 servings of fat. It also includes at least 4 cups of veggies! She showed me how I should spread these nutrients across my daily meals.

Meal breakdown is as follows:
Breakfast: 3 carbs, 1 oz meat, 2 fats
AM Snack: 1 carb, 1oz meat, veggies
Lunch: 3 carbs, 3 oz meat, 2 fats, veggies
PM Snack: 2 carbs, veggies
Dinner: 3 carbs, 3 oz meat, 2 fats, veggies

Carbs include starches, fruits and milk.

She also suggested that I don't eat any calories I "earn" from exercising, but that they are bonus calories lost.

Exercise wise, she said I should be doing 420 minutes a week, burning approximately 3500 calories a week, or one pound of fat. Due to the fact that I am aiming to work out 4 days a week at work (35-40 minutes/140 minutes total), 2 days of Pilates (120 minutes) and one day at home (40-60 minutes) she suggested that I add in a weekend activity to burn ~ 400 calories. I can do something on Saturdays to cover that.

She also suggested that I train for a sprint marathon and also think about setting up personal trainer sessions at the gym.

I was depressive and stressed before I saw her (unrelated), but all her positive energy and praise really helped boost my mood. I'm really glad I went today and talked this all through.

No comments: